Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Deserted and Refreshed

 
 
 
 
So, I'm officially attending my first Bible Study on Tuesday nights.
 
 
I'm loving it.
 
 
 
 
Beth Moore is pretty intense and deep, but I like that.
I'm a words and visualization person.
 
 
 
 
It's an entire study on Second Timothy.
 
 
 
I don't have much time today to go into all the details of what this study is about, but this week had a lesson in it that really hit home with me.
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
Chapter one, verse fifteen says individuals who turned away/deserted Paul.
 
 
 
It wanted me to fill in the blanks of a couple people who had done that in my life.
 
 
That was awkward.

 
 
Not only having to think of a painful time, but also being asked to write their names down.
 
 
 
Feeling deserted by someone hurts, especially when it's someone you invested your own sweat and tears into.
 
 
Have you been left alone by someone who you last expected would leave you? Perhaps it was a parent when you were just a five year old little kid. Maybe it was a spouse who chose their addiction over you. Or, was it a friend? Someone you sat and ate with, someone you made memories with, someone you trusted. Or maybe it was a group of people. We all have our own experiences... let your mind ponder on that tough time for a moment or two.
 
 
 
 


 
Then, a verse later it speaks of an individual who "refreshed" Paul.
 
 
 
Onesiphorus.
 
Yep, that is his name.
 
 
 
Have you had that person come in your life, right when you were feeling down and forgotten?
 
 
 
 
 
 
They made you feel like you mattered. Better yet, they made you believe you mattered. They were not ashamed of you. They were loyal to you, not thinking about how others might perceive them by being associated with you.
 
 
What a gem.
 
 
 
 
In Beth's study she says a line that I LOVED.
 
 
 
"Refreshers are rare finds in this narcissistic world."
 
 
 
 
She then asked me to write anyone who came to mind who had been that to me when I was scorched and dry.
 
 
 
That was a much less painful task, obviously.

Take time to honor that person, or those few people if you're blessed with more than one Onesiphorus. Maybe you haven't spoken to them for a while, but when you look back at a time in your life when you were alone, down, needed encouragement, needed someone to talk to, needed prayer, needed a true friend who cared and went out of their way for you when others were too busy with their own life and problems... they came looking for you and refreshed you.
 
 
 
2 Timothy 1:15-18 explains how Onesiphorus was so intent on seeking out Paul.
 
 
 
I know you would love to be sought out.


Deep inside, we all have that longing, it just takes some of us a little time to let go of our pride and admit we want to be loved and wanted.
 
 
 
 
 
 Onesiphorus must have really cared for Paul.
 
 
Not only cared for him, but that he was the only person who sought him out. Went miles looking for him. He didn't have a cell phone to message and say "Hey, Bro Paul! Let's meet up next week outside of Jerusalem for lunch." No, he had to go wandering and trust word of mouth as to where Paul had been and was.


 
I turned my phone off four days ago. Two days later, I did this particular bible study lesson.
The reason I turned off my phone was to pray. That was the main purpose. Make purposeful time to meet with God. My phone was an easy distraction to "unplug" from.
 
 
I'm always making time for Grant, our kids and often times others outside the home, and some days I feel I am giving God my leftovers, so to speak. I needed to get that back in check.
 
 

 
But, it's made me think the past few days, since doing this lesson, and obviously not talking to anyone unless I have seen them in person, who would come to my house looking for me if I just permanently turned my phone off? And how long would it take for them to come? A month? By Christmas? Something to think about...
 
 
Besides a handful of people in my life, I can't think of a ton to be honest.
 
 
 
 
 
How many people in your life would seek you out until they found you if you turned off all social media, your email, and your phone permanently with no warning?
 
 
 
It is a painful but liberating thought to think.
 
 
 
 Suddenly, you can weed out a lot of fair weather friends and picture maybe a handful in your mind right now.


 
I'm pretty sure you'd be lucky to have 3 of your 500 Facebook friends drive to your house within 6 months of inactivity.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
In Beth's study she gives the example of someone saying to you that they "wanted to catch up but they didn't have a way to get in touch", when the truth is...
 
they didn't bother searching for us until they found us.
 
 
 
 
 What a thought.


 
 
 
 
Now, let the roles reverse... when is the last time you have sought someone out?
 
 
I have been Onesiphorus. It took me gulping down some pride to put forth the effort a time or two, I do admit! But, they were worth my time.
 
 
 
Remember this.
 
 
Usually, the unthankful person, the standoffish person, and the down-right mean person are the loneliest.
 
 
Have compassion for them. One thing they all have in common is this... They all just want to be loved. They want to be cared for. Sure, they may put on a tough front and even push you away at times, or all the time. But, regardless, under that tough guy/chick act, they all have a soul inside that is longing for someone to show them compassion. They maybe have been hurt, maybe deserted by too many and that is why they won't let anyone in. But, just like the last line of the "Day 5 Lesson" in Beth's study, she says...
 
 
 
...don't give up on humanity. There are still Onesiphoruses in this world. Be one until you are found by one.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
People will desert you. That is life. I have had to swallow that bitter pill time and time again in my short 28 (almost 29) years.
 
 
 But, just like with Paul, a REFRESHER will come along.
 
 
 
 
 
 I thank God for the refreshers in my life. Take time to thank yours and make it meaningful.
 
 
 
 
 
 
________________________________________
 





 
 
 Special thank you to my sister in law, Morgan. She has always read my blog and she often shares them with others and makes me feel that what I write encourages others, including herself. She is a woman of God and I want to openly thank her for being a Onesiphorus at many times in my life. She is eight years younger than me, but she has taught me things in life and as a wife, mother and Christian. She has fasted for me when I physically couldn't years ago and miracles happened during that time that are both very personal and intimate to her and I. She has held my hand and prayed with me time and time again. Whether we would have married into the same family or not, I still would have picked her as my friend.
 
 


2 comments:

  1. I found your blog through Morgan's Facebook page. I told Morgan how glad I was to find it because it is captivating and inspiring. Thank you for your words!

    Alison Schied

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Alison!

      Thank you so much for reading and for your kind words! It made my day! I really appreciate you taking the time to read my words! God bless you!

      Delete